Disclaimer: I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in their post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time
I don’t know a person that doesn’t like hummus. Hummus is smooth, creamy, nutty, bold and satisfying. Made with a base of garbanzo beans and tahini, this dish was first written down in Egyptian cookbooks during the 13th century and is a source of plant based protein.
In my posts about why I am plant based, I explain the powerful effects of plant foods on our health, longevity and world. Hummus is a great example of a healthful, versatile and delicious food that can be added to anyone’s diet, whether herbivore or omnivore.
It also is too often unappreciated. It is much more than a dip to liven up a raw vegetable platter or slices of pita. In honor of National Hummus Day this May 13th, let’s give hummus the honor it deserves!
Inspired by a Vietnamese spring roll, this vegan appetizer elevates hummus. Smoky tempeh bacon, crisp vegetables, peppery watercress and steamed collard greens wrapped together in a soft rice paper wrap make for a great start to any summer party.
Makes 8 rolls
16 strips tempeh bacon
8 large collard green leaves
8 sheets rice paper (also known as vietnamese spring roll wrapper)
1 10oz container Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus
2 persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
1 bunch watercress
1. Place the tempeh bacon in a large pan over medium heat and cook until brown on both sides.
2. Steam the collard greens for one minute just until they turn bright green. Cut out the thick stem and set aside.
3. Add hot water to a large shallow bowl. Dip a rice paper sheet in the water until it softens. Place it on a board and lay one collard green leaf over it.
4. Spread 2-3 Tbsp of Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus on the collard green. Layer 2 strips of tempeh bacon, cucumber, carrot and watercress.
5. Roll up into a tight wrap and cut into halves or quarters as desired.
6. Repeat with the remaining rice paper sheets and serve immediately.