With everyone full swing into the new school year, simple meals are all the rage. Easy to prep, easy to clean make for a happy family.
It doesn’t get much more manageable than a sheet pan dinner. Line a pan or two with parchment, throw on some protein and veggies and toss in a hot oven. Bam! Dinner’s ready!
Roasting a meal in the oven also means lots of healthy options. Added fat is minimal, most vegetables naturally taste sweeter from the high heat, and who doesn’t love some golden brown crunch?
Since I am gratefully not gluten intolerant, seitan is one of my vegetarian proteins of choice. In this sheet pan meal, I bread seitan in panko breakcrumbs which gets suuuuuuuper crispy. I also made things easier on myself and used pre-cut and washed packages of baby zucchini, broccoli and haricots verts from Trader Joe’s. Every now and then you gotta splurge!
8 oz. Seitan of your choice in chunks or strips (like Westsoy)
1/2 cup arrowroot flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vegetarian chicken-style seasoning (like McKays)
1 egg + 1 egg white, beaten
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 bunch baby zucchini
1 bunch haricots verts
1 Tbsp avocado oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vegetable broth seasoning
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Set up 3 bowls. Mix the arrowroot flour, salt and chicken-style seasoning together in one bowl. Beat the egg and egg white in the second bowl and place the Panko in the third bowl.
3. Take the seitan and dip it into the arrowroot mixture followed by the egg. Make sure to drip the excess egg off before coating it in the Panko and placing it on the prepared sheet pan. Continue with the remaining seitan.
4. Toss the vegetables with oil and season them with salt and the vegetable broth seasoning (or other herbs and spices of your choice). Place them on the other sheet pan.
5. Place the vegetables on the lower rack of your oven.and the seitan on the upper rack. Roast for 10 minutes and remove the vegetables. Roast the seitan for an additional 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.